"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Isaiah 43:10

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A week later...

This has been one of the most painful weeks of my life. In part, simply because my baby died. The moment replays in my mind over and over again. I knew before the Dr. said a word- because he wasn't moving. She measured him- 9 weeks, 5 days. My heart broke even more deeply as I realized my baby had died that week. How could he be fine last week, but not this week? It was heart-wrenching.
I knew losing a baby would be hard, but I didn't realize how heart-wrenching the actual process would be. I'd been by friends sides as they miscarried at 6 or 7 weeks, so I thought my process would be the same. It wasn't at all. As I cried the next day and told my doctor all that I endured she gently explained to me that just as a miscarriage at 20 weeks is completely different than a miscarriage at 10 weeks, so a miscarriage at 10 weeks cannot be compared to a miscarriage at 6 weeks. End of week 8, the placenta is complete, you have a large amount of amniotic fluid (bag of water), etc. I didn't know I would see him, hold him. See the beginning of his perfect little eyes. I couldn't have imagined the pain I would feel. The memories flash through my mind at any given moment and I feel sick again.
I have never felt far from God in the process. Nor do I question Him. I don't mean this to sound super spiritual. It's just the reality of where my heart is at. There is something so miraculous about a baby being knit together in your womb. I would always tell Eddie that I felt like I had a deep understanding that the baby was God's miracle. That I really had nothing to do with what was going on inside of me. We entered into this pregnancy with such pure, child-like faith. We would pray and always tell God, "we know this is your work, your baby. We trust you." I desperately want to have this pure, simple trust with our next baby. I know God will bring my heart to this place again. But for now, it's hard to imagine being pregnant again without fearing loss and pain.
I don't feel like God has made a mistake. He chose for me to experience this pain. He knew the baby He was creating would only live 10 weeks. I don't need to look at other pregnant women and think, "That should be me, or that would have been me if..." The reality is I'm exactly where God wants me to be. There is no such thing as "that should have been or would have been me" in God's eyes. He meant for this baby to live exactly as long as He did. I would never chose pain on my own, but God knows that pain shapes us into better people (if we let it). I know that God is working this for good and has so much to teach me, but honestly, I want to skip the pain and be on the other side of things. I know it will take time.

2 comments:

Angie Funches said...

*hugs*

maggie liz said...

Thank you for writing this. I know it has been many moons since you wrote this, but almost two years later it is touching my life.

I carried my daughter to 38 weeks. She was born on January 30th of this year and lived only 6 days. The past four months have been so hard... but my husband and I have pressed into God and He has gotten us through it.

I understand how you felt at this dark hour- and it has brought me comfort even today.

Thank you again.