"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Isaiah 43:10

Monday, December 14, 2009

Love my Job

It can be stressful, draining, emotional, and challenging. We all have days like that at work though, right? But overall, I truly believe I have the best job in the world. It's the best job for me- maybe not the best job for everyone. I get to impact people on every level, everyday:physically, emotionally, spiritually. I was driving home the other night and I couldn't help but think, "What other job could I have done all of that at?" None. Saturday and many other days I get to:

-Educate: Here are the risks involved. This is what is happening inside of your body. It makes me feel good to provide people with factual information so they can make educated decisions regarding their care and life.
-Listen/Ask : How do you feel? Are you scared? Nervous? Depressed? I'm here. I'm sure you have a lot going on inside your head. I want to allow you to share and process your feelings if you want to.
- Touch: I get to put my hand on a shoulder or foot when I'm talking to my patients and they're in bed. Sometimes they need hugs and it's been a long time since they've had one!
- Pray: Prayer is powerful- I think every patient that has come back to see me or told me I impacted their day or stay in the hospital has been someone I have prayed with. Crazy, but that's just God. Sometimes I realize the most important thing I did in my day at work was pray with someone.
- Nursing duties: I can't tell you how many people say, "I can't believe you do this or that!!!" I guess poop, blood, and sputum aren't meant for everyone to work with. But, I can't help but think that that's not why I am a nurse- it's just part of what you deal with as a nurse. Sort of a means to an end. Like- I get to love on this person that God gave me to care for for the next 12 hours (and that may involve some poop, blood, or sputum- But who cares??)-Not me. Guess that's why I'm a nurse :)
- Rejoice: I get to cheer for people when they wheel down the hallway to go home. I have stood by my patients side on a few occasions when the doctors come in and tell them their pathology results-they DON'T have cancer. Oh my gosh, I ball like a baby right with them.

So many reasons to love being a nurse!!! :)

1 comment:

Lindy PRD said...

You are living your job to the fullest. You are using your job exactly how God created jobs to be used :) It's a great example for us all. We should all use every opportunity to just love people.